Croydon Council has received just over £3m from the Government to distribute to residents needing some financial support before 31st March 2023. This sum of £3,013,689 is entirely grant funded by the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) so has no direct impact on existing Council budgets.
It is important that the fund reaches as many residents who are in need as possible with the majority of the fund being allocated directly to households known to front-line Council services. This will include:
· £1.6m to be distributed via schools
· £360,000 will be allocated to support council housing tenants with utility bills
· £300,000 will be targeted to residents in need of financial support for council tax bills
· £65,000 will be targeted to vulnerable families known to children’s social care
In addition, direct applications can be made by households to fund the following items:
· Emergency fuel top-ups
· Fuel/water bills
· Essential household items (incl. gas/electric cooker, fridge freezer, microwave, bedding)
· Boiler repair
Approximately £527,000 will be available for households to apply for directly between December 2022 and March 2023.
Residents can apply via the Council website Household Support Fund (HSF) https://www.croydon.gov.uk/benefits/household-support-fund-hsf
Or they can telephone the Council on 0208 760 5719 and applications can be taken over the phone.
Carers are encouraged to make a direct application to the fund to support with food and fuel costs.
The fund is not ring-fenced for specific groups, and all residents will be eligible for the fund subject to a light-touch financial assessment.
Information about other cost of living support which is available can be found at: