Changes to electoral registration
16/07/2014 09:56:00......Posted by Tim Pollard
Sanderstead residents will receive a letter this summer telling them about the biggest change to the electoral registration system in nearly 100 years.
The Council will be writing to over 240,000 people to explain that a new, more secure, system of individual electoral registration is being introduced.
It will replace the old Victorian system where the “head of household” registered everyone living in a property. Now, each individual will be responsible for registering themselves.
Over 80% of Croydon residents will automatically move onto the new electoral register. However, the remaining 20% will need to take action to join or remain on it, which they will now also be able to do for the first time by registering quickly and easily online.
Some properties will also receive a household form. This is so that the electoral registration officer can find new people living in the borough and! invite them to register individually.
All resident should receive a letter over the next few weeks that will explain the change to the electoral registration system. Look out for this letter as it will tell you if you have been automatically transferred to the new register . If you have not been transferred, you will need to provide some additional information. The letter will tell you exactly what you need to do.
For more information visit www.gov.uk/yourvotematters . If you do not receive a letter contact Croydon’s elections team on 020 8726 6300 or email email@example.com